Total Pageviews

Monday, November 20, 2006

Dem preachers botherin me

Since lil boy days I have been thinking about religion and the consequences of my ways. Sometimes I really push the envelope of wutlissness to see if I get the clap of thunder and searing flesh but intelligent minds suggest that I will suffer in more subtle ways. So if my son turns up goin to jail in 15 years time I guess it can be linked to the time I used to corrupt someones daughter. My actions to date suggests that I have hell to pay or that everyone down to my dog is in danger of getting licks for me. Though there is something really comforting about penance and forgiveness. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I can actually do the crime and not serve the time.

But those preachers really bother me. See I wonder whether really believe or if they actually spend time messin with the heads of their congregations because they recognise the power they have. Their must be something real good about watching otherwise uppity folk give you tithe and collection and at the same time use you as a conduit to another life you not even sure about.

And surely a pastor or priest sinning is like everyone else but he then has to turn up to work next day and get paid for not doing what he did the day before. Caribbean people are devoted to the afterlife. The usual thing that we say is that black people are spiritual, but in general, people living in the Caribbean are fatalistic. 'Thats how it is', ' I taking my blows', 'man what to do nuh but live well and pray'. And the more fatalistic we are, the more we defer the actions we are supposed to take in our communities, to the afterlife.

But the real reason they bother me is that unlike even the cornbread fed preachers in the US, very very few religious leaders in the Caribbean have stood for anything. Political amoebas, glory hunters in general, and silent on every single topic except in toeing the party line from their Grand Leader somewhere else. They almost like some regional company with the head office in the US or bahamas or something.

And lawd we have tings going on. Incest, Old fellas paying their way for young women, Political Corruption, man beatin up woman. But every sermon concentrating on where we goin to rather than dealing with the bare reality of life in the Caribbean. You'd think someone that goin to heaven no matter what would be able to speak their mind on any issue eh.

4 comments:

Inna said...

same here, thank you lots, one of the most actual things, well, for me. though "they" don't really bother me any longer. religious and spiritual have too few in common. i met not much spiritual people in my life (same as not much of those religious, normally they are outside of my circle :)

Anonymous said...

"Dem preachers bother me too". I can see that your sense of justice has been offended by these men who claim to be God's representatives. These men are shamefull, blasphemers. But I have good news for you my friend, "THE END OF FALSE RELIGION IS NEAR".
The question you might have is, "what is false religion"?
How will it end?
How will it effect you?
First of all, let me introduce myself my name is Kevin Broom, Yes that's my real name, Broom.
Why does religion seem to be at the root of so many problems? Terrorism, warfare,corruption, at the instigation of those men who claim to serve God is offensive to all righteous people everywhere.
The fault lies,not with all religion, but with false religion. A widely respected religious figure, Jesus Christ, pointed out that false religion produces BAD works, just as a "rotten tree produces worthless fruit". (Matthew 7:15-17) What fruit does false religion yield?
1. MEDDLES IN WAR AND POLITICS: for instance, a prominent religious leader in the united states declared, "You got to kill the terrorists before the killing stops." His solution? "Blow them all away in the name of the Lord." By contrast, the bible teaches in 1 JOHN 4:20, "If anyone makes the statement: I love God,`and yet is hating his brother, he is a LIAR."
Jesus even said: "Continue to love your ENEMIES." (Matthew 5:44)
So how many religions can you think of whose members go to war?
2. SPREADS FALSE DOCTRINE:
Most religions, as you mentioned in your letter, teach that the soul or spirit is some invisible part of a human that survives the death of the physical body. By means of this teaching, many fo these religions exploit their members, charging money to pray for departed souls. But what does the bible teach? In Ezekiel 18:4 it says,"the soul that is sinning---it itself will DIE". Also, in Ecclesiastes 9:5 is says: "The living are conscious that they will die, but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all". Jesus Himself taught that the dead will be ressurected if humans had an immortal soul why would they need to be ressurected? (John 11:11-25).
DOES YOUR RELIGION TEACH THAT THE SOUL DOES NOT DIE???

3. TOLERATES IMMORAL SEX:
In western lands, church groups ordain GAY and LESBIAN members of the clergy and urge governments to recognize same-sex marriages. Even churches that condemn immorality have tolerated religious leaders who have sexually abused children. What does the bible teach? "Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men (homosexuals)...will inherit Gods Kingdom." (1 corinthians 6:9,10)those who practice such things are not approved by God.
Do you know of religions that condone immoral sex???

So KG, or others who read this, What does the near future hold for religions that produce rotten fruit? Jesus warned:"Every tree not poducing fine fruit gets cut down and thrown into the fire." (Matthew 7:19) YES, false religion will be chopped down and DESTROYED!!! But how and when will this happen? A prophetic vision recorded in the bible book of Revelation, chapters 17 and 18, will provide the answer.

If you want to know more about this prophecy, and get the remaining answers to the afore mentioned questions, log on to www.watchtower.org or blog bag or leave comment here. I will add this site to my favorites. I am hoping for a response. goodbye for now, your friend Kevin.

KG said...

Mr Bloom,

I am not going to enter a religious debate but Caribbean countries needs are actually more basic. These 'preachers' are leaders. church hovers above our lives in the Caribbean.

Robertson and Creflo Dollar et al have huge congregations and followings but the impact on the US population is still minimal compared to ours.

Our preachers can say they are not engaged in false prophecy. They are simply avoiding issues that polarise some of their core support. After all the church and the state are now almost merged.

good luck.

Anonymous said...

AIDS is one of the issues that does not get discussed in the church. Use of condoms forget it! The myth that is abstinence that gets blown to biblical proportions.

Generally, Preachers are scary creatures in my books. But I like those that can tell a great story eh. There are those that are brilliant and well learnt and can deliver a sermon! Those dere good to listen to.