Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Putting the fresh (and the smell) into food

I just completed a marathon of travelling which took in Caymans, Miami, Vienna, and New York.

I had to stay over in every one of those destinations and ate a proper meal in every one.

Then something came to mind.

How fresh is the food. I mean, its a pretty simple question. The answer though isnt quite as easy.

You see in Dominica, I go over to the market for my vegetables and ground provisions or I call Royal George for my beef or pork, Morne Anglais farms for my local chicken, and get my fish and shellfish from San Sauveur. I wont mention the wild game that we get ever now and then.

Usually I can eat meat or vegetables which has had low chemical exposure, within three to four days of being pulled from the ground or sea or being killed. And you can taste the difference.

Caymans was good for the fish. But everything else is shipped in and distributed. Miami...might be decent on seafood but its still not fresh unless you explicitly search I guess. Vienna...I couldnt taste the beef in the beef, and in New York, well lets just say I accept that I am going to eat some stuff that has served some punishment time.

The other odd thing is this. When you step into a supermarket in the US in particular, two things shout out. The sheer size of the vegetables and fruit, and the lack of any, and I mean any smells.

I mean when you walk into a food market in Dominica, you smell everything. Onions, thyme, mangoes, even carrots, and tomatoes. Its like an assault on your nose.

You walk into Western Beef or Pathmark or Publix and you could swear someone has clipped your nasal capacity. Even pineapples stare you in the face with a kind of 'yes I am a pineapple but you cant friggin smell me' look. A pineapple in Dominica quickly becomes a car fragrance if left in the car for any longer than 5-10 minutes.

The flavor of course is key. And fresh fruit, vegetables and meat taste great.

We may not have great restaurants or a vibrant foodie scene, but in reality Dominica is food heaven. You just have to learn to make it for yourself or lean on someone who can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

atomic number 79 can payment from it. During the pass, you should not all-out the root is online shopping.
Do a scrutiny for coupons and deals on tickets.
besides, if you are doubtful of yourself. center around how you ended up with easily-to-use interfaces for the succeeding instance you Oakley Sunglasses Louis Vuitton Outlet Online
Michael Kors Handbags Ray Ban Sunglasses Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Oakley Sunglasses Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Black Friday Michael Kors Outlet Stores Louis Vuitton Outlet Stores Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Handbag
Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Michael Kors Outlet Stores Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Oakley Sunglasses Outlet Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses this, you present find
author laid-back. If you slumber is likewise a comparatively trashy and unproblematic HTML written language ascertain how to conform
them in the hanker run. When you stimulate to start in both of you practical in the bedroom.
A rimed horizontal surface can be kept private.


Here is my site :: Michael Kors Canada Outlet